The 2015 Centre for Cultural, Literary and Postcolonial Studies (CCLPS) Postgraduate Conference entitled ‘Beyond Eurocentricism: Rethinking Spatial Representation’ will take place at the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), University of London on 19 June 2015.
Possible topics include but are not limited to:
- imperialism and geography;
- borders and the nation state;
- ideological spaces;
- national and/or communal borders;
- the city and the country;
- formations of spatial identity and ‘Otherness’;
- intercultural and interlinguistic space;
- diaspora narratives;
- local cosmologies;
- mythical and/or spiritual representational spaces;
- imagined spaces;
- alternative histories of landscape, environment and architecture;
- parallel universes;
- the wilderness, the unseen, the underground;
- spaces occupied by non-humans;
- interrogations of space as a gendered entity;
- space and sexuality;
- the public and the private;
- areas of safety;
- sites of violence.
The organisers hope to establish comparative critical perspectives informed by, but not limited to, cultural studies, literary studies, postcolonial studies, area studies, architecture, gender studies, urban studies, urban cultural studies, animal studies and ecocriticism.
Proposals for panels (up to 400 words) and papers (up to 250 words) accompanied with 50-word biographies are invited. Deadline for abstracts is 15 March 2015.
See the call for papers for details.